Paula's Choice The Nude Mattes Palette Review

Let me start off by saying how excited I was to receive this palette- Being a huge fan of Paula and her skin care line as well as being an obvious makeup lover, I had been eyeing her makeup line for quite a while now, especially the Nude Mattes palette. The palette retails for $40 and already having all three of the Urban Decay Naked palettes in addition to various others, I didn't want to spend any more on something that might not be worth the money as there were several mixed reviews on it. So you can probably imagine how excited I was to see a promotion for getting it free when you spent 'x' amount of money online.



First of all, let's start out with the packaging.The palette is the same size, both length- and width- wise as the Urban Decay Naked palette. It even comes with the same magnetic closure, although a tad weaker. It is made out of a fairly cheap cardboard material and comes with a decent sized- mirror as well as a brush.




The brush is also very comparable to the one you get with the original Naked palette, although not as well-constructed. The handle is made of plastic and the bristles, although soft, are quite dense which I presume would make it easy to pack on shadows. I honestly would have liked to have received a blending brush rather than a dense shadow brush instead as I feel it would make a lot more sense dealing with matte shadows.



The eye shadow names are also listed on the back of the palette, although I would have liked the names to be listed on the front just for the sake of convinence. It's really not a big deal though.




Now on to the actual shadows- This is where the disappointment kicks in. Most of the colors in this palette tend to look muddy on the skin, particularly the darker colors, and are very hard to blend out without making your eye look like a mess. 


The formula of the shadows are quite hit or miss. Unfortunately most of them are very chalky, hard to blend, and lack pigment, although a few do happen to be quite smooth and pigmented.


Cream (first shadow) and Pink Sugar (third) are my favorites of the palette because they have the most pigment out of all the shades in the palette and are also very creamy and easy to work with. The second shade Beige pretty much completely matches my skin tone and Tan (fifth), Clay (seventh), and Plum Taupe (eigth) have decent pigment to them although they do have that sort of chalky feel to them. The rest of the shades seriously lack pigment and are hard to blend out and work with. 

Overall, I was very disappointed in this palette and glad that I got to try it out for free (I call it free since I had to buy new skincare anyway so it doesn't really count as spending money on the palette) instead of having to pay the retail price of $40 on it. I would not recommend this product and instead advise you to try out Paula's amazing skin care line instead.

Comments

Popular Posts